5 Things you should know about contouring

Well hello there my lovely lovely peeps! You have no idea how much I’ve missed you guys. I mean you probably can’t tell because I’ve been somewhat decent with uploading posts. You can thank that to the magic of pre writing and pre photographing. But it’s been forever since I’ve sat down and written a blog post. It sounds weird but I feel as though I am talking to you guys when I am writing posts. Weird I know but it’s like one big conversation about makeup and who doesn’t love talking about makeup right?!

Any who I could go on with my rambles forever but how about we actually get on to the point of the post. Now I have been planning and saying and procrastinating forever in terms of getting more contouring esque posts up on the blog. I have so much to say about that subject (and I only own like a zillion contouring products). So I have literally sat my butt down in front of my lap top and I am not moving until I right all the contouring themed posts I have been delaying for too long. So you’ll start to hopefully see more contouring related posts among the usual reviews.
Now seriously let’s get into the post.
Before I tell you about what products, tools, techniques, blah blah blah I just wanted to lay some ground work for you guys. There can be a lot of misconceptions about contouring. So I wanted to give you a few tips about contouring in general. This is especially going to be handy for those of you who are yet to enter the world of contouring.
Okay so here we go before I start babbling about who knows what else.

1.      Your face shape determines how you go about contouring

Everyone’s face is different (duh!) so even though there’s a million youtube videos/tutorials showing you how to contour, that doesn’t mean contouring like them will suit your face. For example, with my face I have a small forehead so I never contour on the side of my forehead but I on the hollows of my cheek. You could already have perfectly sculpted cheekbones for instance then maybe you’d be able to focus a little bit more on the forehead. It’s all about face shape to get the best contouring look possible.

2.      There are many good contouring products in the drugstore

Yes it’s nice to splurge and treat ya self. But unlike some categories of makeup, like foundation and concealer (there are plenty of goodies in that department) it’s very easy to find good contouring products for a quarter of the price. There will be a whole post on affordable contouring products, don’t you worry.

3.      You don’t have to contour every single time you wear makeup

Contouring doesn’t always have to be a part of your face. I mean you can do your makeup and maybe just lightly bronze. You don’t have to sculpt the shizz out of your face. I know I use to all the time but every now and then I find it refreshing to do a makeup look without contouring, change is good.

4.      The right contour shade makes the biggest difference

It doesn’t matter if your contour costs $50 or $5 if it isn’t the right shade for you it won’t look good. It is a bit of trial and error and what suits you will depend on your skin tone and undertone but trust me guys it’s all about the shade.

5.      Using the right brush is key

Another thing that doesn’t require $$$ now this totally depends on your personal preference. But it is going to be once again a bit of trial and error until you find what works best for you. You could want a tapered brush, a flat contour brush, heck even an eyeshadow brush could work. But do not fear I also plan to make a whole post on contour brushes.

That wraps up the post folks. As usual comment down below with anything and everything you’d like. Don’t be shy. Also comment below with any contour themed posts you’d like to see. I hope you all have an awesome day and I will see you in the next post. Cio. x

1. Beautylymin

May 16, 2016 at 2:26 pm

I love a bit of contour but have yet to find the perfect contour brush! xx

Beautylymin

2. Sharmili Rakhit

May 16, 2016 at 3:51 pm

I'm terrible at contouring so thanks for all the tips! I think I haven't found the perfect shade of contour yet

Mili | Sharmtoaster

3. Amythepug

May 16, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Loved this post! Thanks for all the the tips! Xx

Amyx Makeupwithmissa.blogspot.co.uk

4. Jasmine Stewart

May 16, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Totally agree on face shapes! Most of the time I feel like I just do my cheekbones and possibly my forehead if I have time – though as you say it's not an everyday thing for me 🙂 xx

Jasmine Talks Beauty

5. Beth | TOASTY

May 16, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I've been using a cream contour and a beauty sponge recently and that seems to be working – you're so right about the shade making all the difference. I've yet to master the art of contouring my forehead but hopefully I'll get there one day 🙂 xx

Toasty

6. Jenny D.

May 16, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Good tips! I totally agree about face shape and the right brush!

Jennylovesbeauty.com

May 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I am planning a post all about contour brushes. So keep a look out for that.

May 16, 2016 at 10:55 pm

You are very welcome. I feel like I have improved but I still have my bad days. I'll have a contour related post all about good contour shades.

May 16, 2016 at 10:57 pm

When I first started contouring I did try and contour everything everyone else was contouring but lately I stick to my cheekbones, chin and a little on my nose.

May 16, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Cream contouring is such a lovely thing. Particularly contour sticks, there is simply no easier way to contour.

11. Lisa @ Midwest Glam

May 17, 2016 at 4:03 am

Great tips! I don't contour every day either. Sometimes I just don't have the time. 🙂

MidwestGlam.com

12. Bash Harry

May 17, 2016 at 3:30 pm

I personally love contour products, since it can change your face so drastically! You don't have to contour everyday but for makeup looks, I think it's awesome! Great post <3

xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

13. Lily Kanaya Widjaja

May 17, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Love this : “You don’t have to contour every single time you wear makeup” lol. But actually I have a friend, that contouring is her daily makeup look 🙂

Lily Widjaja

14. Lulle H

May 17, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Thank you for your advice! I very rarely contour, and when I do it's only the cheeks.
    Beaumiroir

May 17, 2016 at 10:22 pm

I know contouring is this magic thing you can do to differing levels and it changes your face a lot.

May 17, 2016 at 10:24 pm

If I have to be honest I contour (to differeing levels whether its subtle or intense) a lot! But i'm trying to avoid falling into a rut so I make myself skip it sometimes.

17. Charlotte

May 18, 2016 at 6:44 am

I see people all the time contouring with the wrong shade and it actually makes me quite angry seeing it as they just think they look brilliant and they believe they're doing it right but they just look muddy!
    Charlotte // http://www.charlottespicks.com

18. Linda Libra Loca

May 18, 2016 at 8:48 am

Finding the right shade is key! No matter how carefully you apply, if the shade is off, it will always look off.

Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

19. Allure Square

May 18, 2016 at 10:32 am

I definitely agree with you on the importance of finding the right shade and brush! I found that Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder in Light works best for me, but I'm definitely on a look out for the perfect brush to apply it with

May 18, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Reality will hit them. That use to be me, even with foundation matching. Some lessons you got to learn the hard way.

May 18, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Agreed. It could be a $80 fancy ass contour, wrong shade = weird contour.

May 18, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Yes the brush is the trickiest one to find.

23. Caked to the Nines

May 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Finding the right contouring shade and brush is really what helped me step up my contouring game. Great tips!
    xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

24. Kelly Doe

May 18, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I love contouring and I actually can't remember the last time I didn't contour when I wore makeup (note, I wear makeup once a week only). I just love the way it looks, and I'm most likely not going back to just foundation and blush 😀 xx

BeautyPepTalk
    Make sure you enter my huge celebration giveaway 🙂

25. Holly

May 18, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I always find contouring a bit scary and daunting so this post is super helpful, thank you for sharing these tips 🙂
    Love Holly x

26. Emily Carter

May 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I love contouring, just getting the hang of it as well so it is nice to read about some products! I actually have the revolution pallette and I would recommend it to anyone who's investing in a cheaper contour palette.

Much love,

Emily http://www.emilyy.co.uk X

27. Alice Red

May 18, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I'm yet to find the perfect contour shade, but I'll keep looking!

alicered.co.uk

28. Kate

May 18, 2016 at 8:03 pm

You're so right about face shapes. I have quite a narrow face, so I have to be careful not to create too much shadow or I look like a skeleton! x

Kate Louise Blogs

May 18, 2016 at 10:01 pm

As it did for me, I found finding the right brush was the hardest part.

May 18, 2016 at 10:02 pm

I feel ya girl. I do it very very often, pretty much all the time. I feel naked if I don't contour. I am only now trying not to contour every now and then to mix things up.

May 18, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I felt that way too, if you pick up a natural contour shade you can't go wrong. I think many people go and pick up a very very intense shade before they even know what's going on. And practice makes perfect.

May 18, 2016 at 10:07 pm

The contour palette I have from makeup revolution is technically a blush palette. It's called the 'all about bronze palette' They have come out with their an actual contour palette both cream and powder which I am keen to try out. All the contour products I own are drugstore.

May 18, 2016 at 10:09 pm

Hang in there, I felt that way when I hadn't found a good shade yet. if you're fair skinned. May I recommend the makeup revolution ultra sculpt and fair trio kit – faire & the makeup revolution all about bronze palette.

Maybelline also have a lovely contour duo.

May 18, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Many people have that same issue. I mean in the beginning my face was way more plumper but fitness got me losing a lot of weight from my face, it made contouring easier for me as I knew where to place it.

35. Rachel Wood

May 19, 2016 at 8:14 am

I'm a total novice when it comes to contouring, I find it difficult with a round face, I look forward to more contouring posts!
    Rachel // Rachel Ellen

May 19, 2016 at 9:24 am

Contouring is a universal problem.