The Beauty Rookie Edit – Tips For Those Just Getting Started With Makeup

Hey there my internet peeps! I funny thought occurred to me the other day. Although I’m practically in the belly of the beast when it comes to my makeup addiction I was remembering how first came about makeup. Funny enough it’s only been over 3 years since I started becoming obsessed with makeup. I never wore it in high school and so the love for it sort of began at university.

I remembered how difficult it was getting into to makeup in the beginning. I literally didn’t know anything. I didn’t know what primer was or what highlighter was. I did not know how to match my foundation well or even apply it. Basically anything to do with makeup I was completely clueless too.

So the idea for a blog series aimed at helping those who are just getting into not only makeup but the world of beauty occurred to me. I mean there is so much to learn and so much to know and even with bloggers and youtubers around it is still complicated as heck.
So I thought this blog series is perfect for you peeps who are trying to keep afloat in the makeup world.
Today’s post I just wanted to tell you guys about general tips in regards to getting into makeup.
Let’s jump right in!

1.      It’s a steep learning curve
There is so much to learn! Literally everyone getting into makeup will face this. No you are not dumb or clueless or anything like that. Makeup isn’t as simple or easy as it looks like from the outside. I am still learning things along the way and will continue to do so. There’s a lot to know and the best way to learn makeup related things is pretty much through making mistakes and learning it the hard way. For example shade selecting your foundation. I was wearing a foundation 4 shades darker than my skin for about a month before reality hit me.

2.      Patience
Being that there is a lot to learn, some things you will pick up quickly others will take a long long time. To keep your sanity intact patience will do you good. Ps. No one ever becomes perfect at eye liner.

3.      Practice makes perfect
With frequent practice you will see yourself getting better, trust me! It may be an annoying piece of advice but it works. With eye shadow, eyeliner, even contouring. You don’t wake up a pro you got to practice your butt off to get good at it. We all had to do it.

4.      There isn’t anything wrong with drugstore makeup
I know high end makeup seems fancy and cool and there are some absolutely amazing products. However, the drugstore brand has many man many great products as well for half the price. They might not appear extravagant from the outside but the quality is still there.

5.      You don’t have to own the same amount of makeup as bloggers / youtubers
I am beyond help because of my makeup addiction but that doesn’t mean everyone who gets into makeup will benefit from having a massive collection. Start small and build it little by little. For some of you guys having too many options will just stress you out. And youtubers and bloggers deal with makeup as a job so it makes sense they’ll have 10000 x more than the average person.

6.      You’ll develop your own makeup style over time
You’ll learn about what you like and don’t like over time. Whether it be bold lips, nude lips, extravagant eye shadow looks or a natural look. Your own style will eventually emerge.

7.      You gotta up the skincare
Makeup is all well and good but if you are increasing your makeup wearing you gotta do better in the skincare department. Such as removing your makeup, and coming up with a skincare routine. Don’t worry peeps I’ll have a post on skincare routines as well.

8.      Research products before you buy them
The blogging / youtube and beauty community in general is enormous now. I mean 10 years ago it wasn’t as easy to find people’s thoughts and experience on beauty products. It’s definitely a handy thing, not only blogs and youtube by the infamous sight makeup alley is really nifty to use to see what the general status on beauty products is before you purchase it. I use makeup alley almost always when researching a product.

9.      Don’t jump straight into high end makeup

When you are first getting into makeup, things simple as your skin type or selecting the right shade of foundation aren’t known to you. So spending a lot of $$$ on high and makeup in the beginning could possibly result on money being wasted simply because you didn’t know that it wouldn’t work for you.

10.  It’s a lot of trial and error
You may read good reviews, purchase the product then try it to realise you don’t like it or it doesn’t work for you. When it comes down to it, each individual beauty product works differently for everyone. Even some of the most brilliant and popular products will attract people who didn’t enjoy the product. It’s going to happen. Keep that in mind that there are no guarantees when it comes to dealing with beauty products.

11.  There’s nothing wrong with natural makeup looks
You don’t have to go glam every time you wear makeup. With makeup there are so many different levels, just because you decide to wear it doesn’t mean you have to go all the way. Sometimes glam looks are fun but it’s also fun playing around with makeup  to bring out your natural features.

12.  There’s also nothing wrong with full on glamerous makeup looks
Adding to the point above, wearing glamorous makeup looks isn’t a bad thing either, even if you felt like wearing makeup every day. Makeup is about doing your own thing and wearing what and how much you want so don’t worry about what other people say or do, do what you want to do.

13.  You’re going to have good and bad days
Finally, even when you start getting the hang of makeup you’re going to have iffy days. Maybe your contouring was off or you weren’t happy with your foundation. even the pros have iffy days, not every day will = makeup on fleek!

And that wraps up this long long post. I hope these tips helped you guys especially you peeps who are only beginning to enter the world of makeup. If you guys have any tips of your own for those who are starting to use makeup, drop them in the comments below. I hope you all have a great day and I’ll see you in the next post.

1. Rebecca Capel

August 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm

I love this post so much! Made me feel a bit nostalgic about when I was getting into makeup. You're so right about number 2! I'm a qualified makeup artist and I still can't do perfect winged eyeliner!hahaha x

Rebecca | Rebecca Olivia Capel

2. MsTantrum Lifestyle

August 4, 2016 at 9:20 pm

What a lovely post! Enjoyed reading every bit..from shade match to practice to good skincare routines to product research. You have carefully covered everything very well. I'm medium skin tone and when I wasn't into makeup, I had no Idea about correctors..I used to apply Concealer on my dark circles and it used to make them appear worse and ashy. Aah, we all learn from mistakes.

Ash | http://www.mstantrum.com

August 5, 2016 at 10:20 am

Yes learning from mistakes is something we all must go through.

August 5, 2016 at 11:41 am

Yeah it's a rocky road. I still have iffy days

5. Angela Angeline

August 5, 2016 at 1:50 pm

This is a very good post. Very informative. I honestly think it will help newbies getting into the makeup game. Hopefully they can take a sigh of relief that we all went through it.
    angie

6. Caked to the Nines

August 5, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Love these tips and I agree with all of them! Practice and patience is definitely very important. It's all about trial and error and finding the products that work the best for you :). I think the drugstore is a very good place to start!

xx
    Nida | Caked To The Nines

7. Summer

August 5, 2016 at 10:22 pm

This is such a lovely idea for a blog series! Its so so easy to forget as a blogger that not everybody has your makeup knowledge!
    Summer xx

August 5, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Thank you very much. Yes the early days of makeup is not pleasant for anyone.

August 5, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Yes they are the truest yet the most frustrating tips because everyone just wants to be great at makeup very quickly.

August 5, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I know! When I first thought of the blog series I was like why haven't I done this before. haha Getting into makeup is rough in the start!

11. Girl Abroad

August 6, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I'd love to try the NakedSkin one! I don't wear foundation but these tips seem really helpful to rookies!

Alice from Girl Abroad
    girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

12. Cy Palma

August 6, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I really like this post, it's so complete and useful. I know what you mean, I used to wear black eyeliner all over the eye with no mascara and I felt bomb, now I look back at it and I just can't help but cringing, but doesn't matter, at that time I had fun with it and that's the important thing, you get better with time and while you find your style!

Cy | Dulce de Mango

13. Leanne Page

August 6, 2016 at 9:31 pm

This was such a good post! I completely agree about drugstore makeup, they are some really great products in the drugstore. And i agree that the drugstore is the best place to start xx

LPage Beauty

14. Gemma Magpie

August 7, 2016 at 1:15 am

Such great tips! Definitely agree on practise, it takes time but it's worth it xx

Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

15. Chloe // Thoughtful Clouds

August 7, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Great tips! They have definitely helped me, as I haven't a clue what to do when I walk into shops such as Superdrug!
    Thank you!
    Chloe 🙂

16. Bash Harry

August 8, 2016 at 4:06 am

Practice makes perfect, and perfection is difficult. When you start learning makeup, you need a lot of patience and you shouldn't be so afraid of doing. I wish I knew that when I started practicing makeup. Love our tips <3

xx   B A S H   |   go   say     H E Y   B A S H

17. Ela BellaWorld

August 8, 2016 at 12:33 pm

Such a great post! Agree with all your tips, especially with the patience. I don't want to think about how ridiculous I was looking when I started the makeup with wrong shade foundation and extreme eyeliner!

Ela BellaWorld

18. Danielle Beautyblog

August 8, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Completely agree about drugstore makeup and researching makeup! I read so many reviews before I commit to buying something!

Danielle's Beauty Blog

19. Nicole&apos;s Beauty Babble

August 9, 2016 at 2:49 am

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

20. Nicole&apos;s Beauty Babble

August 9, 2016 at 2:49 am

Great post Hun and also great tips. I specially agree with the skincare tip you need to look after your skin first and make sure you are removing your makeup correctly. Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

21. Nicole&apos;s Beauty Babble

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

26. Nicole&apos;s Beauty Babble

August 9, 2016 at 2:49 am

Nicole xx | http://www.nicolesbeautybabble.com

27. Georgia Megan

August 9, 2016 at 11:12 am

I definitely agree with all these tips! Drugstore makeup is the perfect way to start out as opposed to high end! Bloggers often say that it's not always about the product, it's down to your technique too so once that's mastered beginners can definitely look at getting some nicer high end products! x

|Georgia Megan|

August 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Thank you very much! Yes that is very true, it does take a while to find your style – makeup wise.

August 9, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Thank you. I just love drugstore makeup in general haha. I'm definitely an addict, when I go into high end makeup it's for those rare products that are worth the price range.

August 9, 2016 at 1:26 pm

We've all been there girl. I remember when I first started I had no idea what the heck a primer was.

August 9, 2016 at 1:29 pm

I know it's the truest piece of advice but I think we all want to become experts from the beginning. It's nice to look back and see how much you've improved in makeup. When I first got started I couldn't even apply foundation, it was a wrong shade, brush strokes were present and it was a disaster haha. Thank you!

August 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Thank you very much! I can't think of one person who when they first began wearing makeup didn't wear the wrong shade of foundation.

August 9, 2016 at 1:31 pm

I am a drugstore makeup girl at heart, I only go high end for special products.

August 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Thank you very much lovely girl. Yes! skincare is so important whenever my skin is freaking out it takes my desire to wear makeup away because I know it's not going to look good.

August 9, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Exactly technique makes a hell of a difference! I am a drugstore girl at heart, i'm picky when it comes to high end makeup because in my eyes it better be dam worth it if I am going to shuffle out $$$ on one single product.

36. Alina Bostan

August 11, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Such a great post, I also found that blogging is what made me get into makeup in the early days when I only read them but didn't have a blog myself. Oh and I agree about knowing that it's not necessary to own as much makeup as big beauty gurus. I try to buy just the necessary now because when I look at my collection I already have way more than what I need x

Beauty with charm

37. Parie Joshi

August 12, 2016 at 9:39 am

I love this post, so handy for those out there who don't have a clue!

Parie x
    classandglitter.com

August 12, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Thank you so much lovely! I wish I could slow down my makeup hoardings but for some reason I love bouncing around between different products and brands I often feel uninspired if I use the same stuff too often, that's at least how I justify my makeup addiction haha. Luckily though I am a drugstore junkie.