Reasons to buy a beauty blender

Hello there lovely humans! Okay so it’s no secret that I was late on the beauty blender bandwagon. Ever since this thing was invented people have been singing its praises. I had a feeling that if I tried it I’d love it – and I was right. But that still didn’t make me take the plunge. For so long I was delaying picking one up – I was umming and uhing because it’s not super affordable (it’s also not ridiculously expensive). I just felt like because you are meant to replace it every ‘3 months’. I don’t know if anyone follows that rule but in general I knew I’d have to replace it on average quicker than a typical foundation brush that basically left me unsure.

When real techniques came out with their miracle complexion sponge I of course bought it immediately as I was excited to try a more affordable alternative. While I did enjoy the real techniques sponge ( I still do!) I found I wasn’t reaching for it a lot. For some reason I preferred the feel of applying foundation with a brush rather than a sponge and I did find the sponge to absorb so much product it took me 5 pumps to get foundation look good.

So after that happened – I was even more unsure about buying beauty blender. However, one random evening I was watching a makeup video on youtube. As always that inspired me to play around with makeup, I believe I was watching Jaclyn Hill and she was blending out her concealer with a sponge. That motivated me to play around with my real techniques sponge once more (even though she was using a beauty blende). She mentioned how while she wasn’t crazy about using the beauty blender for foundation as it absorbed too much product – it was a must have for concealer.

So I began using my real techniques sponge only for concealer and guess what I fell in love with it! I began reaching for it again and again. Then one day I was on Beauty bay picking out some makeup geek shadows for the very first time and I took the plunge and bought I beauty blender (I even bought 2 haha). ANDDDD I fell in love with it.
So now I apply my foundation with a brush, but then I quickly bounce the beauty blender on my face afterwards and I always apply my concealer either with the beauty blender or the real techniques sponge. Both are awesome for concealer though I like the beauty blender a little bit more.

So what was this giant tangent about? Well I wanted to show you guys how I ended up finally taking the plunge and buying the beauty blender despite procrastinating it for so long.
Now before I get onto reasons why you should get it I will say that as incredible as the beauty blender is, if by the end of this post you still are unsure – it’s okay not to get it. You can still have gorgeous looking makeup and lovely foundation and concealer without it – I still had good days before I tried using a sponge. If it’s not within your price range or you simply do not want to sponge over $20 on a sponge then don’t. It’s easy to feel pressure doing so when watching YouTube videos and seeing Instagram pictures. Get it if you really want to not because you feel you have to.

Okay so let’s finally jump into the reasons I think the beauty blender is great and worth the money!

1. Nothing will apply your concealer better!
While I did have good days concealer wise without the beauty blender they weren’t as frequent as I would have liked. I do deal with mila under the eyes so I don’t have naturally smooth looking under eye areas. The beauty blender because you push the product into your skin instead of swiping it makes your under eye are look super smooth. It also allows concealers that are stubborn to blend to blend out much more easily. Our under eye areas are always dry to some point and we all have days where they feel extra dry but because the beauty blender is dampened when used – concealer always blends into the skin easily. You also aren’t dragging or pulling at that area when blending the skin and no brush strokes are left behind. You can even bake or normally set your under eye area with powder using the sponge and it works wonderfully.

2. It’s easier to clean then a brush and dries quicker
It is so much easier to clean a beauty blender. I use the same brush cleanser ‘Johnsons baby shampoo’ and it gets all the product out. I do find that makeup brushes take forever to clean and a sponge does dry quicker on average which always motivated me to clean it more frequently.

3. It helps avoid cakeyness
It does absorb excess product, while I find it a bit annoying for applying foundation for concealer it well and truly absorbs cakeyness. Our under eye areas are so small and it’s easily to accidently go overboard with too much product. The beauty blender does help fix this problem and once I’ve applied my foundation with a brush I do like to go over it with the beauty blender to further blend out any areas that would have been cakey.

4. You could even use it to blend out your cream contour or cream blush
Cream blush and cream contour aren’t always the easiest thing to do. I do find cream contouring much more easily but I basically suck at applying cream blush. This sponge as well as the real techniques miracle complexion sponge really helps blend out the product – though I have to go in a few times with the product and blend it out and then apply more product. I find that sometimes it can leave your blush / contour looking splotchy as it does pick up product BUT with practice you’ll get the hang of it.

5. Lasting time of the sponge
While you will repurchase this on average sooner than a foundation brush – though they say ‘3 months’ you’d be surprised they do last longer than that. Realistically even the biggest makeup fanatic won’t wear makeup 7 days a week. So it doesn’t get worn out as quick because when you factor in the days you don’t wear makeup the beauty blender isn’t being used. You could even say it lasts up to 5 – 6 months before you are like ‘yep a need a new one’. So in retrospect you are buying it twice a year – not too bad.

That wraps up this long long review. I hope you guys found it helpful. Are you guys a fan of the beauty blender? Know of any dupes that are just as good if not better? Drop a comment and let me know. I hope you all have an awesome day and I’ll see you in the next post.

1. Michelle Morchella

June 24, 2017 at 9:31 am

I might not use the original beauty blender, but I have to agree with you. Makeup sponge did change the makeup game for me.

June 24, 2017 at 11:19 am

There are so pretty good sponges out there besides the beauty blender, like the real techniques sponge

2. Shanelle

June 24, 2017 at 1:16 pm

I’m still not sold on these sponges, and I have both a Beauty Blender and the Real Techniques one. Strangely, both were sort of bonus products that I didn’t buy.

I can see the appeal for concealer and cream cheek products, but I think my main problem with it is that I don’t like getting product on my hands, so I prefer brushes.

So old school.

June 25, 2017 at 12:00 am

That is fair enough, i just rinse my hands once I do my base and continue.

3. Steph

June 24, 2017 at 4:35 pm

I have absolutely NO idea what I’m doing when it comes to make-up. None. Zero. Zippo.
    Hence, I still use brushes. I’ve heard a lot about blenders and sponges though.
    Maybe it’s time for an upgrade!

Helpful post!

Steph

June 25, 2017 at 12:00 am

I do feel like it makes application easier. I’m not crazy about using a sponge for applying foundation because it absorbs too much BUT for concealer it does a fantastic job and once i’ve applied my foundation with a brush I go over it with the beauty blender to further blend. I have a blog series in the works aimed at sharing makeup tips and tricks, and talks about all the basics. So hopefully that will help you pick up some tips, I learnt everything the hard way ahaha.

4. Kayla

June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Great post I love my beauty blender/ RT sponge but sometimes I hate cleaning it after each use. I love using my brushes lol they are easy for me to clean with my brush cleanser that is quick drying lol.

Kayla
    Sheer Beauty Blog

June 24, 2017 at 11:56 pm

Thank you very much! I know it’s definitely an odd thing to clean and difficult to leave it spotless.

5. Erin

June 24, 2017 at 7:30 pm

I really want to try a real one, but I am always more tempted by a new MAC lippy for the price lol – But I need to just go for it!

Erin || MakeErinOver

June 24, 2017 at 11:56 pm

I was like that as well. The real techniques is nice as well and I do gravitate between the two but the beauty blender is just slightly better and a must for concealer!

6. Morgan

June 25, 2017 at 10:08 am

I really like my Beauty Blender! I went off it for a while but it does give a really smooth finish. They’re great for applying cream blush and cream bronzer as well.

June 25, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Nothing beats it! I definitely do want to try a silli sponge and see if i can use that for cream blush and bronzer.

7. Daisy Petals

June 25, 2017 at 11:48 am

I’m surprised by the fact that you said its easier to wash than a brush but maybe thats just me aha.I think the fact that you said that it helps to avoid cakiness and that you can use it to blend out cream contour and blush has me sold-I bought a cream blush months ago and I’ve literally only used it like once or twice because I don’t own any brushes which I can blend it out with x

June 25, 2017 at 10:25 pm

It definitely helps avoid cakeyness! Which is what had me sold on it haha! It’s just a lovely tool and definitely lasts longer than 3 months. Mine is still going strong!

8. Jordanne / Thelifeofaglasgowgirl

June 25, 2017 at 12:40 pm

I must admit, I’m more sold on the RT sponge, I do love the beauty blender but I’m a sucker for the dupes and cheaper products haha saying that though I think it is always good to have a beauty blender in your kit!

Jordanne // Thelifeofaglasgowgirl.co.uk

June 25, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I’m always looking to discover more sponges I love. But the beauty blender is just an awesome tool and definitely lasts longer then three months.

9. Nikita

June 25, 2017 at 1:42 pm

I’ve tried using sponges and I was always a fan of them but ever since I discovered the RT Buffing brush, I ditched the beauty sponge and went for the brush. They both have their pros and cons. I think it just depends on my mood. Thanks for sharing! x Nikita

June 25, 2017 at 10:22 pm

I know what you mean running it under a tap can be a hassle especially when you are in a rush. I still use makeup brushes for my foundation, this sponge just does concealer on another level!

10. Yiota

June 25, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I haven’t really got into using one, probably because I am not wearing foundation in spring and summer since it is too hot and I am always wearing a BB cream but I may need one for when I use foundation. I know everyone raves about it so it must great for applying foundation! Happy Sunday xx

Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

June 25, 2017 at 10:21 pm

I definitely prefer the sponge more for concealer rather than foundation, especially under the eyes!

June 25, 2017 at 6:32 pm

I love my beauty blender, I use it every single time I apply my makeup without fail!

June 25, 2017 at 10:20 pm

It really does a fantastic job at concealer. x

12. Jessica

June 25, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I think that every 3 months thing is just to try and make people buy more of them, but I’d say if your sponge starts to get little tears in it or starts to smell, that’s a sign that you need a new one. But if you’re taking good care of it there’s no reason you should have to replace it that often! I bought a beauty blender and a Real Techniques sponge as well and found that I only used them every so often just because it seemed like too much work to have to go and run them under the tap every day, but lately I’ve been really getting into using them more. And you’re right, they are definitely the best way to blend out concealer under the eyes for sure.

littlehenrylee.net

June 25, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Exactly. I’ve definitely had mine for longer than three months, I already have a back up so once it starts looking worn out, i can just toss it and whip out the new one. They definitely do an awesome job when it comes to foundation. I don’t really care for it when it comes to foundation as it absorbs a lot of product but once I’ve applied my foundation, I do like going over it with a sponge. And of course it is a must have for concealer! x

13. Sofia

June 26, 2017 at 4:21 am

Ahhh I love my beauty blender!!!! Might get another one 😛

xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

June 26, 2017 at 10:39 am

I already have a back up! I love it, it’s so awesome but I do like the real techniques ones as well.

14. Caterina Sosso

June 26, 2017 at 9:49 am

I really love beauty sponges, especially the “beauty blender” from Real Techniques!!! Much more affordable but yet lovely quality 🙂

Caterina | caterinasosso.com

June 26, 2017 at 10:38 am

The real techniques is also a lovely option and I love that real techniques has launched all sorts of different shapes as well.

15. Kiran

June 26, 2017 at 10:44 am

Great post and I really love the way a beauty blender applies concealer more so than foundation. I also love it for packing on powder/baking or dabbing in setting spray. It is such an awesome tool , thank you for sharing Bernadette. Hope you have a great week! Xx

ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

June 26, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Definitely! Mainly because it isn’t easy finding a good tool to apply concealer with and the beauty blender is just a game changer for that.

16. dora

June 26, 2017 at 5:30 pm

I totally agree! I also found that it absorbs too much product when it comes to foundation (I prefer to just apply it with my fingertips), but when it comes to concealer it’s the best tool to have around.
    Dora

June 26, 2017 at 10:23 pm

It definitely is a game changer for concealer!

17. Vanessa

June 26, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I wear makeup daily and use the beauty blender every single day. As long as you take care of it, clean it regularly and let it air dry completely it can last months. I once did the mistake of putting it in a plastic bag after washing it and it got all mouldy.

Vanessa x | http://www.springlilies.com

June 26, 2017 at 10:23 pm

It definitely lasts more then the 3 months they claim it does. Yes I just let it air dry on my vanity.

18. Carly Susanne

June 26, 2017 at 8:18 pm

I’ve not tried the Beauty Blender, but I’m a massive fan of this type of sponge. Like you say, they’re so versatile! xx

♥ Carly Susanne ~ A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

June 26, 2017 at 10:21 pm

They really are! I never use to make my concealer look nice before but with the sponge the under eye looks so smooth.

19. wendee

June 26, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I love using beauty blender too. Sometimes, I dont even use a brush at all.

June 26, 2017 at 10:20 pm

I love using a brush for foundation but the sponge does concealer so well!

20. Kate

June 26, 2017 at 8:57 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of sponges but you’ve really intrigued me with the story about the concealer! I might have to do what you did and give them a second chance! x

Kate Louise Blogs

June 26, 2017 at 10:19 pm

They never use to me either but it really does change your concealer game! For foundation they are only good for going over your face rather then trying to apply it with the sponge (because it absorbs too much product)

21. A Very Sweet Blog

June 28, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I love mine. I use it for foundation, blush and concealer application. I even contour with mine.

June 28, 2017 at 10:51 pm

It’s such a versatile tool! There isn’t anything it can’t do well.

22. Jackie

July 2, 2017 at 11:47 pm

I agree 100 percent! I have tried two other brands of a “blender” and hated them both. For some reason, I cannot get used to them… They just aren’t as soft! But they are probably fine for some people. And have you tried using Zote to clean them? That’s what I use. It’s $1 and lasts forever! I have a post on my site under Beauty if you’re interested! xo

July 3, 2017 at 12:32 am

I do still enjoy the real techniques sponge, but there is just something unique about the beauty blender. It did put me off that they reccommend ‘3 months’ before replacing it. I’ve had mine for much longer, it lasts a lot longer. I have so many makeup brushes that I love from the drugstore and a zillion I love from Ebay, Wish and Alliexpress. So I figured I could invest in a beauty blender. Thank you for that tip, i’ve been strugging to find a good way to clean it. I’m definitely going to check it out.

23. Molly