3 Steps to remove makeup effectively

Let’s get real for a moment – makeup removing is not fun. Period. I mean I am all about painting my face with makeup – I could do that till the cows come home. But makeup removing isn’t fun especially when it’s late and all you want to do is pass out in bed. Nevertheless it’s a cross we must all bear if we want to keep our skin relatively clear. So on that note let’s talk about removing makeup shall we and the 3 steps I follow to get that makeup off my face!

A quick little tip before I get on with the post – removing your makeup as soon as possible makes all the difference! If you do get home in the evenings and you are done for the day, removing your makeup then! Don’t wait till you are just about to go to bed to remove it. if you going to be home for the rest of the day/evening, the makeup may as well come off then. Of course this isn’t always the case especially if you are heading out again or have a late night, but for the days where it is an option – do it! When the sleepy vibes kick in, it’s so bloody hard to will yourself to follow your skincare routine. I’ve been guilty of half ass washing my face and not following through.

Okay, so rambles aside let’s get on with the post shall we?!

• A cleansing oil

Ever since I first tried a cleansing oil it was a complete game changer for me! It is hands down my favourite way to remove makeup and ever since I started using a cleansing oil (for over 4 years now) – I have never ever gone to bed with my makeup on! Now I’m not a girl scout when it comes to being consistent with a skincare routine but I have honestly never slept with my makeup on. So I am at least doing something right. A cleansing oil is applied directly to your makeup filled face – you work it into your face, then wet your hands and go back in to work the oil further in. At this point it turns milky and then all you have to do is rinse off. Boom a minimum of 85% of your makeup is already off! I’ve been currently loving the Palmer’s ultra-cleansing oil & the Burt’s and bees cleansing oil!

• A cleanser

Now while I swear by cleansing oils, makeup can never be removed in just one step – I mean let’s get real, foundations are a bitch to remove. Just when you think you’ve gotten it all off, there’s always some still lingering in the nooks & crannies of the skin. So double cleansing is essential! Any cleanser is fine but I do love me a cream or milk cleanser. You want to pick a cleanser that gives your skin some TLC after a day of makeup wearing to keep it happy.

• Micellar water

Last but definitely not least is micellar water. I absolutely love micellar water, it’s such a versatile product and it really is super gentle on the skin. There are so many micellar waters out there and so many are awesome and affordable so any will do! (Hint there will be a blog post all about them) iIt really does get every last ounce of makeup off and its super refreshing on the skin!

I have been recently playing with the face halo as I got lucky enough to have an opportunity to try them. I’ve only just begun playing with them but they will make an interesting additional step into this makeup removing routine. So I will update you guys on that as I trial them out.

And that wraps up this post! How do you guys remove your makeup? Are you guys into cleansing oils or double cleansing? Drop a comment, I love hearing from you peep! As always I hope you have a great day and I’ll catch up with you guys in the next post.

March 25, 2018 at 2:55 am

I usually use a oil or balm cleanser to remove every thing and then follow up by a second cleanse. I very rarely use micellar water these days.

Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

March 25, 2018 at 3:40 am

Cleansing oils are definitely a must for me. I don’t understand those that use micellar water to replace cleansing their face entirely but as a third step i’m finding it handy to just make sure everything comes off.

2. Hannah

March 25, 2018 at 3:02 am

I hate removing my makeup too, especially when sometimes I stay up until 2 am just because I don’t want to remove it. Micellar water has been a game changer for me too! I use micellar water, makeup remover wipes and a cleanser. I will have to start using the cleansing oil again though!

Hannah the Mad Dog

March 25, 2018 at 3:43 am

Exactly! Nothing is worse than those late nights where you wish the fairies come in and remove the makeup for us haha. Micellar water is definitely handy & versatile, especially for getting all those extra bits off!

3. Mica

March 25, 2018 at 3:41 am

I really need to get better at having an extra step for removing my makeup! I dont’ wear makeup much, just the days I’m in the office, but all I do to remove it is a makeup wipe and then my normal cleanser, I think trying something else would be better 🙂

Hope you are having a lovely weekend 🙂 It was the little one’s birthday party yesterday so that was a lot of fun! Today is a quiet day to recover after that busy day and crazy week though, haha!

Away From The Blue Blog

March 25, 2018 at 9:50 pm

The more steps for removing makeup, the better! Makeup can be such a pain to remove.

Thank you lovely. Oh that sounds like quite fun, I myself spend the weekend blogging & spending time with my nephew. 🙂

4. laura anne

March 25, 2018 at 5:14 pm

That cleansing oil sounds and looks great, I had no idea Burts Beas did that!! I love micellar water – great for eye makeup x

LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

March 25, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Yes the burts & bees cleansing oil is quite underrated! But cleansing oil in general is a life changer, hands down the best way to remove makeup

5. Louise

March 26, 2018 at 4:48 pm

I love using miceller water once I’ve cleansed my face just to make sure all my makeup has come off! xx

louiselovesbeauty.com

March 26, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Same here! It’s handy as an extra step to make sure everything has come off!

6. sam

March 28, 2018 at 12:14 am

Oh I didn’t know swisse had micellar water. I rarely use oils or waters these days because I find it too time consuming and I don’t like the oily feeling on my skin, but balms have been working great for me!

Sam Hodgett || Beauty & Lifestyle Bits

March 28, 2018 at 1:49 am

I’m lucky that the cleansing oils I have used don’t leave any oily feeling on my skin. Swisse skincare has been impressing me greatly!

7. Amy Aed

March 28, 2018 at 8:14 am

Micellar water is so underrated. I tend to use toners and face wash, but Micellar water is such a good final step to remove the rest of the residue. It’s gentle but also really thorough, something you really want when removing makeup.

Amy;
    Wandering Everywhere

March 28, 2018 at 8:51 am

exactly! I know often its marketed as a way of “replacing washing your face” but it doesn’t mean you have to use it like that. Its a lovely additional step. Occassionaly when I have had a no makeup day and if I’m particularly exhausted instead of a cleanser I’ll use micellar water in place of that step. But that’s rare. I love using it as a second/third cleanse.

8. Face to Curls

March 29, 2018 at 2:09 am

I love using a cleansing oil first and that Burt’s Bees one is one of my absolute favorite.

Ann-Marie | http://facetocurls.com/

March 29, 2018 at 11:06 am

I know right I can’t imagine using anything other than a cleansing oil to remove makeup. Hands down the best way!

9. Ms Via

March 30, 2018 at 3:57 am

I always use my Bioderma Micellar water to remove my makeup and then use a good cleanser to wash off everything. Then I go in with my toner to make sure everything is off. 🙂

Via | http://glossnglitters.com

March 30, 2018 at 10:28 am

We all do what we must to take off our makeup, it’s never as fun as putting it on though.

10. Maybelline ‘The Falsies Angel Push up’ Mascara – The Makeup Aficionado

June 7, 2018 at 11:52 pm

[…] I don’t have the waterproof formula. (Psst. If you want to know how I remove my makeup – click here, to read that […]