TheBalm’s ‘Balm Shelter’ Tinted Moisturizer

Hello gorgeous humans! I’m here again to throw another base product review at you guys. Not literally, of course, I wouldn’t actually throw anything at you guys and I don’t even know how one could throw a blog post.

ANYWAY, straying off topic a bit. You guys I know all levels of base products whether it’s super-duper natural or full coverage. So here’s one for those days where you want to keep it simple.

Let’s jump right in!

What are the claims of this foundation?: It claims to have SPF 18, to feel weightless on the skin, be suitable for all skin types and gives you lasting moisture. It also claims to ‘help to improve the tone and texture of your skin, leaving you with a polished complexion’.

Does it deliver on its claims?: It does have SPF but I do find to not rely on makeup to cover my SPF, I like to use a facial sunscreen. It does feel weightless on the skin and it is very hydrating. I am not sure how it versatile it would be on different skin types. I don’t have oily skin but for those of you that do, if you’ve worn tinted moisturizer in the past and had a pleasant experience – there is a good chance you will like this though I’d say add a setting spray to the mix. I don’t notice it improving the tone and texture of my skin. It may be an incredibly natural base product but it still is makeup be super beneficial for the skin?

Coverage: Obviously as this is a tinted moisturizer you are going to get minimal coverage. It just gives a ‘your skin but better’ sort of look. If you have blemishes or anything else you specifically want to cover this won’t cover it by itself. You could always go with a heavy duty concealer and a color correcting primer for a bit of a coverage boost!

Skin types appropriate for this foundation: I find that this tinted moisturizer is quite hydrating. I don’t know how it would work with oily skin as I don’t have oily skin besides a shiny t-zone and oily nose.

Longevity: I wouldn’t call this a long-lasting product. It doesn’t claim to be. It lasts a good amount of time on average 8 hours. But if you have blemishes when wearing this, they can start to peak through halfway through the day. So I like to wear this when my skin is fairly clear. Also, weather does play a factor when it’s hot/humid it doesn’t last that well but on a normal day with fairly nice weather that’s cool – it lasts much better. I do go in with the urban decay all-nighter setting spray to boost its longevity.

Application: It goes on quite easily and blends out very nicely. I use the real techniques face expert brush and it does a good job. This is a great product for when you are in a rush as it isn’t difficult to apply quickly.

Packaging: It has straightforward squeezy tube packaging!

Formula: This tinted moisturizer has a very hydrating and creamy formula. That is expected at it is a Tinted MOISTURISER it would be pretty weird for it not to be moisturizing since it’s in the title. It feels quite lightweight on the skin and it doesn’t cake up. It has a natural finish to it. Not super dewy and not matte either.

Who would love this foundation?: If you love the very light coverage look, a quick and easy base that looks natural. You will love this.

Who wouldn’t love this foundation?: if you are looking for medium to full coverage you won’t like this product. Also if you are looking for a product that has high longevity you also won’t be a major fan but there are many things such as setting spray, primer and setting powder that can help boost the longevity of the tinted moisturizer. But I’d say it has a good 8-hour wear on average, depending on the weather that day potentially longer.

Shade range: There are about 4 shades. Typical for a tinted moisturizer they don’t always have a wide shade range.

Price: $34.85 AUD (on feelunique) $29.95 AUD (on Adore beauty)

Availability: Feel unique, Target, Adore beauty

Rating: 7.5 / 10

Overall thoughts: This is a very nice base. Quick and easy and it looks super natural and lightweight on the skin. it may not have bulletproof longevity but as I use a primer, setting powder and setting spray with every base I wear it doesn’t really bother me. When I want an extra-long lasting base I simply go with another base product.

Would I repurchase this?: I see myself repurchasing this. It’s the only tinted moisturizer I own.

And that wraps up the post. Have you guys tried this tinted moisturizer? What light bases do you enjoy? Drop a comment and let’s get talking. I hope you all have a fantastic day and I’ll see you in the next post.

1. yiota

June 12, 2018 at 5:43 am

I am using BB creams for every day and most of them have only two shades to choose from, light and medium which is not that good, we need more shades. I haven’t tried a tinted moisturizer before, only tinted sunscreen products. I love when creams come in tubes, easier to use and more hygienic.

Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

June 12, 2018 at 7:50 am

I know right I feel like the CC / BB & tinted moisturizer fam need more shades. Highend versions have a few extra shades but the affordable brands need more shades for us pale gals. This was my first tinted moisturizer and I just love it, it’s perfect for when you want a your skin but better kind of look. x

2. Jalisa

June 12, 2018 at 2:03 pm

This seems like a great summer product! I don’t like wearing a ton of product on my face when it’s super hot out, especially now with a little one who’s always sucking on my face, lol! I have combination/oily skin, so I’ll have to see how it holds up. I’ll probably ask for a sample at Sephora to test it out. Thanks for sharing, girlie, and I hope you have a great week ahead!

XO,

Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

June 12, 2018 at 10:57 pm

Yes a sample is the best idea with any base product.thank you for stopping by the blog.

June 12, 2018 at 10:56 pm

It really is

3. Cortney

June 13, 2018 at 5:04 am

This sounds pretty amazing actually!

Cortney | makeupwithcortneyblog.wordpress.com

June 13, 2018 at 8:41 pm

I love a good minimal base for when my skin is behaving itself.

June 13, 2018 at 2:26 pm

I swear I have to be the only person in the beauty world who hasn’t tried theBalm. LOL!

Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

June 13, 2018 at 8:42 pm

You must be. I haven’t tried much from the brand but I have tried mary loumanizer & cindy loumanizer

June 13, 2018 at 6:14 pm

I have been wondering about this product for quite a while because I really want a lighter coverage for an everyday kind of basis!

June 13, 2018 at 8:43 pm

It will definitely give you a light coverage, hydrating, quick & easy. I wouldn’t call it long wearing but it’s so difficult finding a long wearing light coverage base.

6. Gabrielle

June 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm

I often find some products don’t have such great longevity, though like you say, with the right primers and setting sprays, that doesn’t need to be a problem! Thanks for the informative, thorough review babe 🙂

aglassofice.com x

June 15, 2018 at 6:23 am

Exactly! I’m quite lucky in the sense the only oily part of my skin is my t-zone & the rest of my face is dehydrated. So longevity has never been a major issue for me though I still have discovered quite long-wearing base combos, many of which have more to do with setting spray & setting powder than the foundation itself. Thank you for stopping by the blog.

7. Em

June 16, 2018 at 11:07 am

I’ve never tried a tinted moisturiser before, but this sounds interesting!

emjbarker.blogspot.co.uk

June 16, 2018 at 11:13 am

I didn’t own one before this and I wanted to add one to my collection. I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do but it’s the perfect base for when you just want a “your skin but better” vibe. I feel like it’s hard to pull off a makeup look without wearing a base so when I feel like wearing makeup without a full on base – this is perfect.