7 Tips to getting your foundation to look good

I don’t know about you, but when I have one of those magical makeup days where my base looks amazing, I feel like anything is possible. Let’s face it, caked up foundation ain’t cute so I wanted to talk to you guys today about how to get your foundation looking cute! This one is a lengthy one guys so I’m going to dive straight in.

Let’s go!

Your skincare game plays the biggest role!

By no means am I the best example of being consistent with skincare but the hard-line fact is you cannot make your foundation look good without taking care of your skin. Now I am not just talking about the skin’s clarity, obviously a by-product of looking after your skin is that it will be clearer for longer. BUT the main correlation between skincare & your foundation looking good is hydration + exfoliation/smoothness. Those two aspects of skincare make or break whether your foundation will sit nicely on your skin. If your skin is congested, dehydrated/dry and bumpy from a lack of exfoliation – I hate to break it to you, your foundation will not look cute – believe me I know.

Prime Prime Prime

Now depending on your skin type will determine what you need in the primer department but the biggest role a primer can perform is to smooth and/or hydrate the skin as well as make your foundation last better. Essentially what you want from your primer is for it to help your foundation go on better. I find some of my foundations look good regardless of what primer I use, while others need a specific primer. For example my Huda Faux filter foundation which can be a little tricky to apply and if my skin isn’t cooperating it can look a little bit textured. So I go in with the YSL touche eclat blurring primer (which smoothes the skin out like crazy). So basically what I am trying to say is certain aspects of a foundation you may struggle with in regards to getting it to sit right on your skin, can be corrected with the right primer! Even if the foundation is perfect all on its own and longevity isn’t an issue, I always always wear a primer!

Have you chosen the right foundation?

Our skin type and foundation go hand in hand. Therefore when selecting what foundation to wear you have to think about your skin type. I have dehydrated skin with an oily t-zone, so I typically wear hydrating foundations and seek boosting the longevity of the foundation via a setting powder, primer & setting spray. I have discovered a few foundations that are both long-wearing but work on my skin type. But basically I go for super hydrating foundations. However if your skin is mostly oily you’d go for foundations on the matte side as they work best for preventing oil build up during the day. If you don’t have oily skin you can definitely be more flexible with what foundations you choose to wear but if the foundation. In a nut shell you need to determine how dry/oily your skin is and keep that in mind when selecting your foundation. Also before foundation purchases I highly recommend reading tons of reviews & getting a sample of the foundation before purchasing it.

Less is more

The amount of foundation you apply is a massive factor to getting it to look good on your face. The bottom line is, if you apply too much – you will look cakey! I’ve been guilty of this, sometimes I am in auto-pilot mode so without realising I’ve applied my foundation with a heavy hand. I’ve been more conscious lately in an effort not to apply too much but every now and then I go OTT and immediately regret it. some foundations are “buildable” but buildable does not mean you need an unnecessary amount of product on your tiny face.

Setting your foundation

I never really knew just how much of a difference setting powder makes to how well your foundation can look. Sure I’ve used setting powders that were nice, both loose & pressed and I’ve learnt the ones that are finely milled are a must. BUT for those foundations that are tricky in regards to looking good on the face, the right setting powder makes a world of difference. Not only does the right powder seriously boost the longevity of your foundation but when it’s both finely milled & hydrating it can make your skin look extra smooth!

The magic of setting spray

A common dilemma in the battle to get your foundation to look good on your face is it can look quite powdery – this could be an issue entirely separate of your setting powder. If it’s a setting powder you use often & love, then that powdery look could be coming from your foundation. Aside from its powers of boosting longevity, a setting spray is awesome at settling that dreaded powdery look & making your skin look more like skin! Also you could use it instead of an actual setting powder (if your dry/dehydrated skin type doesn’t like setting powder).

The right tools for the task

Last but definitely not least, let’s talk about the tools in applying foundation. First and for most – your foundation brush has got to be clean! It seems like an obvious one but foundation brushes get dirty and have product build up so quickly (which is while I have like 15 foundation brushes). You cannot blend out your foundation nicely if your foundation brush is clogged up with product. Okay so I can’t talk about foundation application without mentioning the glorious beauty blender. Guys this sponge is 10000000% worth it & it actually lasts quite a while definitely more than 3 months. But I find that when you run it under a tap it absorbs far too much product so I don’t like applying my foundation with it. BUT lately I’ve been spraying it with a setting spray and dampening it rather than soaking it. This is definitely the magic trick to keeping it from absorbing too much product. On most days, I apply my foundation with a brush and then go in and further blend it with the beauty blender. It blends out any streaks, presses it into the skin and absorbs any potential cakeyness. It’s a must have tool in everyone’s collection to get your foundation to look good.

And that wraps up this lengthy post. I hope you guys picked up some tricks or found it interesting at the very least. How do you guys get your foundation looking good? If you have any tips that weren’t mentioned, be sure to leave them in the comments. I hope you guys all have an awesome day and I’ll see you in the next post.

1. Angela

November 30, 2018 at 2:46 pm

I agree with all your points! lately, finding the right formula plays the biggest role, since my skin has become more textured and foundations are prone to cake in certain spots. Moisturizing well and using a smoothing primer have helped too.

Angela at Blush & Pearls

December 1, 2018 at 12:43 am

That’s the tricky part – Our skin types are so different and change throughout the year which impact which foundations work for us. x

2. Ana

November 30, 2018 at 5:14 pm

These are some really great tips! Thank you for sharing this post xx

December 1, 2018 at 12:42 am

Thank you, I’m glad you found it helpful. x

3. Kelsey Bang

November 30, 2018 at 8:04 pm

great tips! I’ll need to try a few new ways to do my foundation!
    kelseybang.com
    4allthingsdisney.com

November 30, 2018 at 10:54 pm

I’m glad you liked them. x

4. Siobhán

November 30, 2018 at 10:46 pm

I think skincare prep and primer are absolutely key to a good base! xx

November 30, 2018 at 10:52 pm

100% Ever since going more high end with my primers I’ve noticed that a lot!

5. Stephanie | theFantasia.com

November 30, 2018 at 11:03 pm

I am 100% with you on the skincare game! When you have a good base, everything just glides on so much smoother and just works!! And I’ve been discovering more and more of the benefit of primers – love this list!

Stephanie | theFantasia.com

December 1, 2018 at 12:50 am

I feel like people think skincare is just about not having pimples, there’s so much more to skincare than that. Especially when you realise foundation doesn’t cover up texture or dry patches.

December 1, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Primers and setting sprays are absolutely essential for me!

December 1, 2018 at 10:10 pm

They make or break the foundation…. literally

7. Kemi

December 1, 2018 at 9:59 pm

I agree 1st of all – skincare matters! It is the base after all. And a beauty blender – so simple but so amazing haha.

December 1, 2018 at 10:10 pm

The beauty blender is the greatest invention ever!

8. Paula

December 1, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Yes, yes, yes! Skincare always makes the biggest difference in the way my makeup looks. Every product just works and looks so much better when my skin is in a good shape. The same thing goes for using less product. Loved this post!

Paula | Thirteen Thoughts

December 1, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Exactly, during my bad skin days I don’t even want to wear makeup because I know it won’t look good

9. Ellese

December 2, 2018 at 7:37 am

These are brilliant tips! Thanks for sharing. Xo, Ellese

Rock.Paper.Glam.

December 2, 2018 at 8:18 am

10. Nicole

December 2, 2018 at 7:15 pm

These are such useful tips. I wish I realised that less is more much sooner. These days I like to keep it natural but that used to be completely different back in the days (cake-face alert). I also think that applying foundation with a Beautyblender rather than a brush makes such a big difference.

December 2, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Oh girl I still struggle with that. I don’t know why I’m always so heavy-handed it takes actual effort to force myself not to apply too much. I’ve always loved all coverage levels depending on my mood and yes a beauty blender is magic! I Love applying my foundation with a brush then going over it with a beauty blender (so not too much product is wasted and absorbed).

11. Hannah

December 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm

What a fab post! I love a good setting spray, as I find that powder can make me look so dry sometimes, so setting spray always comes in handy xx

Hannah | luxuryblush

December 2, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Yes! I literally can’t do my makeup without a setting spray – I don’t know how I use to survive before without it! Have a lovely day gorgeous. x

12. Alyssa

December 3, 2018 at 10:47 pm

These are really useful tips, thank you for sharing 🙂

xx Alyssa | STYLE VANITY

December 4, 2018 at 1:39 am

Thank you, I’m glad you found them helpful

December 4, 2018 at 6:53 am

I saw Emily Didanato applying foundation like a moisturizer and I have been following her way and it works wonders for me! Beautiful, natural, skin like coverage and it’s literally undetectable on my face.

December 4, 2018 at 9:01 am

I’ve heard of this technique and I know it can work. At the moment I hate getting product on my hands and I’ve always sucked at blending out any products with my fingers but i still need to try this technique again and practice it.

14. Jasmine

December 4, 2018 at 9:49 pm

I definitely agree on ‘less is more’ – I like to apply a thin layer and gradually build up any more coverage just in the places I need it 🙂

Jasmine xx

Jasmine Talks Beauty

December 5, 2018 at 3:17 am

I still struggle with making sure I don’t apply too much, I don’t know why I’m so heavy handed. Thank God for the beauty blender

15. Jessica

December 7, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Totally agree with these points! Skincare is huge and I find if I ever have any areas that are drier (usually because I’ve used a spot treatment as I’m quite oily) it can really show up if I’ve not used the best foundation/primer/concealer in the area. Testing out how different primers perform with different foundations is quite a lengthy process (especially if you’ve got a few combinations to go through) but it’s so worthwhile. There are quite a few primers and foundations that I love, and I have quite a curated collection these days which I find really helpful because I’ve actually gotten to know each of my products and how they perform, so I know that this primer doesn’t work with this foundation, and that that concealer is better under the eyes, but not so much around the face. It takes some time to figure it all out but my base has never looked better!

littlehenrylee.net

December 7, 2018 at 10:23 pm

There’s nothing more frustrating then when texture or dry patches are obvious during makeup wearing. I often choose to skip makeup altogether when my texture is bad. That’s exactly how I test out primers, I find that some foundations allow me to use whatever primer I want, while others are so much pickier. It’s a battle and we all have bad base days but it feels so good when everything goes right.

Thank you for stopping by the blog lovely!