What my Morning Skincare Routine looks like

I’ve long considered doing a “morning skincare” routine kind of post but I’ve always run into several pickles. For starters, you guys know I am all about the “pre-writing” life when it comes to blog posts. So while I could write a post talking about the products I use in the morning by the time I post it, those products could change. My skincare does change up often (as soon as I finish up the product I move onto a new one – except for those die-hard favourites!). So rather than talking about individual products, I thought I’d chat to you guys about the steps in my morning routine … and eventually night-time routine as the steps themselves don’t change. I’ll talk about some of my favourites from each category for those of you who are curious.

Righty, let’s go!

A cleanse

The task of cleansing the skin isn’t too complicated in the mornings. Some use micellar water, others don’t cleanse their skin in the morning but you’d be surprised how gross the skin can get overnight. I also love using a rinse-off cleanser in the morning because the water wakes me up, leaves my skin feeling refreshed and clean. I’m enjoying the Medik8 ‘Cream cleanser’ and the Murad Age reform ‘refreshing’ cleanser.

Chemical Exfoliant

Acids are one of my favourite steps in my skincare routine. I use them daily both morning and night! Nothing helps out with texture and brightening the skin more than acids. I use a very gentle one in my AM routine just to maintain smoothness and brightness. The Nip + Fab glycolic fix daily pads are very gentle and a good option, my holy grail definitely has to be the pixi glow tonic! You could also use an acid mist if you’d like but I prefer liquid ones that are applied with a cotton round. Acids are a great way for improving texture and allowing your makeup to look smoother on your skin!

Hydrating Facial Mist

Just to pack in some hydration and keep my skin from freaking out from using an acid, I like to spritz myself with a hydrating facial mist. It’s quite refreshing and gives your skin a boost of moisture. I’m enjoying the hydrating facial mist by Sukins, a more pricey but awesome one is the hydrating facial mist by Murad. Pixi also has awesome face mists (I’m loving their rose faced mist and they have recently launched jumbo sizes). The Mario Badescu facial mists for only $9.

Serum

Hyaluronic acid based serums are some of my favourites because they lock in the moisture from the moisturizer you apply underneath and keep your skin feeling hydrated all day! I like to apply it all over my face and under my eyes (as I’m currently too lazy to use an eye cream in the mornings). I’m enjoying the ordinary’s Hyaluronic acid, Hylamide Low molecular HA, Nip + Fab ‘Dragon Blood’s Fix’ Hyaluronic shot, Raww cosmetics ‘Smooth-ME’ fine line serum and the Dermalogica ‘hydrating skin’ booster.

Gel moisturizer

I’m so obsessed with gel moisturizers it isn’t even funny! I can’t imagine using regular moisturizer during the day! They plump and hydrate the skin intensely, sink in quickly and wear so well underneath makeup. I adore the Neutrogena Hydroboost gel cream (that got me hooked on Gel moisturizers) and the avene ‘hydrance optimale’ gel cream is also a good one as well the Patchology ‘Aqua flash’.

SPF

I’m not going to pretend I use SPF as frequently as I should. My main pickles with it are that firstly, it’s so difficult to find one that doesn’t break you out! My skin doesn’t break out easily and yet SPF pisses off my skin. On top of struggling to find an SPF that doesn’t break me out, when using SPF daily, you essentially need to double cleanser every night! I thought one cleanser was enough … nope! So if you get lazy with the cleansing stage of your PM routine you are almost guaranteed to break out. So using SPF definitely comes with a responsibility. Considering I use retinol in the evenings I seriously need to get better with the SPF game. I do like the Mecca Cosmetica face sunscreen – that wears nicely underneath makeup.

That wraps up this post! What does your morning skincare routine look like? What are some of the products you use? Be sure to drop a comment so we can chat! I hope you all have a great day and I’ll see you in the next post!

1. Siobhán

May 15, 2019 at 6:58 am

My steps are pretty much the same but i use an essence and eye cream too. It took me a long time to find an SPF that wouldn’t break me out & I finally settled on La Roche Posay Anthelios! I love it xx

May 15, 2019 at 9:19 pm

I’ve been curious about using essences but I always wonder when to use them and perhaps that they are similar to serums. x

2. Claire

May 16, 2019 at 2:23 am

i love the avene hydrance optimale gel cream too! such a nice moisturizer !

May 17, 2019 at 12:57 am

How good is it!

3. Caroline

May 17, 2019 at 11:23 am

I’ve never seen Pixi glow tonic with a pump before! Your morning routine is so detailed! Honestly I don’t even cleanse.. I just moisturise in the morning, but my evening routine is when I do use the most products. Maybe I need to start investing in a morning skincare a bit more xx

May 18, 2019 at 12:17 am

The limited edition 500 ml bottle comes with a pump and I don’t understand why all the bottles don’t have a pup. Morning skincare is actually my favourite, not only does it wake me up but it’s so quick and easy. x

4. jenna

May 17, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Great post! It looks like you use some good products 🙂
    Jenna ♥
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake ~ A Sustainable Lifestyle Blog

May 18, 2019 at 12:13 am

Thank you. x

5. Charlotte

May 17, 2019 at 5:34 pm

My morning skincare routine is somewhat non-existent so this post is inspiring me a lot!! Love the Pixi glow tonic for evening time though
    Charlotte / Charlotte’s Picks

May 18, 2019 at 12:15 am

Skincare consistency is the main thing and no routine (even the PM routine needs to be complex) so start small even with cleanse and hydration! x

6. Angela

May 17, 2019 at 7:53 pm

My routine is pretty similar, although I add in an essence after my hydrating toner and an eye cream before moisturizing and SPF. it’s good to know I’m not the only one spending all this time on their morning skin care!

Angela at Blush & Pearls

May 18, 2019 at 12:15 am

I definitely need to get better with eye cream, I’ve been just applying the same serum under my eyes then slapping on a moisturizer.

7. Sofia

May 18, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I really need to get into trying more pixi beauty stuff! Everyone seems to be obsessed!

xx Sofia
    SOFIAADOT

May 19, 2019 at 2:28 am

They are a fantastic brand I cannot recommend them enough! If you need any product recommendations from them, do let me know.

8. Emily

May 19, 2019 at 10:30 pm

I’m about the same when it comes to my morning routine. I keep it super simple because lord knows I’m lazy af first thing in the morning.

Emily – emmiesbeautylife.com

May 19, 2019 at 11:02 pm

AM routines definitely don’t need to be complex.

9. Sharon

June 10, 2019 at 7:53 pm

I really enjoyed reading your morning skincare routine. I don’t use as many products in the morning as a personal preference because I like keeping things simple but I liked reading what products you use. I’ve never tried a gel moisturizer before but after reading this post, I might invest in one because I feel like they’re basically like primers because of how fast they skin into your skin. Really great post tho!

June 11, 2019 at 10:55 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it. I am so addicted to gel or gel-cream moisturizers I find them so much more hydrating and yet they feel weightless on the skin. You could actually use a gel moisturizer as a primer as it’s hydrating and a little tacky!